Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I have now lived in Ostrava, Czech Republic for over 3 years. It has been a life of isolation almost. As a family I live with my son, so it isn't as if I am all alone. But grown sons don't talk to their mothers all the time. They have interests beyond the house. His friends and other social activity often takes him away from home.

So that leaves me with endless time in hand. Why? I have often sat down and thought about it. And I realised that because of language barrier I am unable to join any activity in this country. Everything is in Czech, which is understandable as that is what the people speak. The other day I went to the British Council Library in Ostrava and wanted to join the Book Club. I was told that though the members of the club read English books written by English authors, they discuss the same in Czech!!! That was funny.Then I tried the Aqua- aerobic class and again it was full of locals who did not even understand English. Then I tried the new upmarket gym which has just opened..... the instructors and clients were all Czech. With all the Eastern Block countires, language is the biggest barrier. Specially for people of my age. My generation of East Europeans speak almost none or negligible English because they were discouraged to learn English by the Communist Goverments before. So unlike the West of Europe where most educated poeple speak some English, here its not so. But the scenario is changing with the new generation. They are learning English from school and I suppose in the next few years most adults will speak English. Although I still find college students/gradutes who speak little or no English at all.

So that brings me back to square one. I have no social life. And there is so much to enjoy here. So many western music concerts, ballets etc etc. What a pity all this is happening in my city and I am sitting and home and writing a blog!!! And the question is why don't I learn Czech? Well, its a tough language and I am not sure i can learn it!! Whatever little words I have learnt in the shops and on the street has confirmed my opinion of the Czech language.

1 Comments:

Blogger Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

IMPOSSIBLE-I M POSSIBLE!!
Nothing is difficult,if started. To start is the first step,and then all steps move on forward. I am sure when the kids started reading, it appeared difficult too. With encouraging parents and peer example, one learnt to read.
One is never too old to begin. Nothing has ever been achieved without an effort. A bit of effort, initiative and a lot of hard work with dedication will see you become a master of the tough language, or at least enable you to converse and participate.
All the very best to you in your endevour to learn the TOUGH language.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home